Our Beach Ride & Bush Rides
St Andrew's Beach Ride
- Our 'signature' ride and no riding experience is necessary to enjoy riding a horse to a beautiful ocean beach. The ride takes 2 hours and has some magnificent views from the high sand dunes looking down over the coastline where surfers are often seen and if you're lucky, even whales have been seen.
- Enjoyed by 10,000's of local and international tourists for over 20 years and appeared on TV shows such as Postcards & Coxy's Big Break.
- The ride leaves our stables and heads along a sandy track for 45 minutes towards the beach. After a gear safety check, the horses climb over lofty sand dunes and down onto a beautiful sandy beach where the horses often stroll in the rock protected ocean water.
- Our Parks Victoria permit enables us to ride for 15 - 20 minutes along the beach and we believe that horse riding along the rugged St Andrews beach is simply breath-taking and one of life's 'must-do's'.
- The ride to the beach is mainly walking with short periods of trotting. Once on the beach our staff may split the group into those who prefer to stay at walking pace and those wishing to go for a trot beside the crashing waves. Cantering along the beach may be possible but only for experienced riders who have ridden more than 20 times.
- Weight Restrictions apply for people between 90 - 100 kg and will depend on horse availablility so please check when booking. People weighing over 100kg (220 lbs) generally cannot ride with Gunnamatta Trail Rides.
- The minimum age for this ride is 10 years
- No experience is necessary to enjoy the St Andrew's Beach & Bush Ride and more than 50% of our riders are total beginners. Private rides are available but must be for a minimum of 4 riders on weekends & school holidays and they are subject to availability.
Trueman's Bush Ride
- This popular bush trail ride is an economical introduction to horse riding. It gives you the experience of getting on and off a horse and riding one of these beautiful animals along a bushland track. It doesn't go to the beach. No previous experience is necessary.
- The Trueman's Ride is a walk-only ride unless everyone in the group wishes to try some slow trotting. Our guides will show you the basics of riding before the ride commences.
- As we must ride at the level of the least experienced rider, you may think about booking a 'private ride' where your group can elect whether or not to trot on the horses. For private rides, add $20 per rider (subject to availability and with a minimum of 4 riders)
- The Truemans Bush Ride takes approx 50 minutes and suits people with limited time.
Beach Ride with Peninsula Hot Springs Bathing Pass
- This combination is fast becoming one of our most popular rides. Your day commences with our signature St Andrews Beach & Bush Ride and then after your ride, collect a day pass to the nearby Peninsula Hot Springs where you can relax in the exquiste natural hot spring pools.
- They also have a licenced cafe in a beautiful setting if you're a little hungry after your ride. If you haven't been to this amazing attraction, see it on-line at www.peninsulahotsprings.com
Walk-Only St Andrew's Beach Ride
- This ride is similar to the St Andrew's Beach Ride but is a walk-only ride. Because it is slower it will have less time actually on the beach however you will see all the same sights and enjoy the interaction with the same wonderful horses.
Our Twilight St Andrew's Beach Ride
- NOTE: Only available during the summer months (November - Early April)
Our Twilight Beach Ride commences in the late afternoon as the day draws to an end. Enjoy our spectacular St Andrews Bush & Beach ride that starts between 5.30 - 6pm and runs for approx 2 hours.
- It is a peaceful time of the day and one of the more enjoyable times to ride. Riding in the cooler evening on those hot summer days is ideal and is very popular with couples. Limited numbers and subject to availability - best to book early!
Walk-Only Fingal Ride
- This is a horse ride for the more anxious rider wanting to experience horse riding at the most basic level. Similar to the Trueman's Bush Ride but for a shorter time of approx 30 minutes.
Green's Bush Ride
- This ride only for very experienced riders who either own their own horse or ride regularly throughout the year.
- It is a 3 hour ride that commences with a long walk to Green's Bush National Park where riders then canter for long stretches through the sandy tracks. This ride is not suitable for the occassional rider.
The All Day Combination Ride
- A total of nearly 5 hours in the saddle! Only for experienced riders.
- The ride generally commences with the 3 hour Green's Bush ride in the morning and then after lunch it's off to the beach on our St Andrews Beach Ride. It is a long day and is only available to regular horse riders.
- For added privacy & enjoyment you may wish to choose a Private Ride where the only riders are your group. Ideal for couples, families and groups where the riding offered can be a little more flexible. There can only be a limited number of private rides per day so booking early is recommended and rides are subject to availability.
- Our Equestrian Centre offers a range of lessons and clinics.
- Sarah Tipping coordinates all Gunnamatta Equestrian Centre activities including riding lessons.
- Clinics and lessons for dressage, cross-country and show jumping are run numerous times a year at Gunnamatta Trail Rides.
- Call and ask to be added to our mailing list to get dates for these Clinics.
Our Special Kids Programs
- Click on the Kids Activities link on our Home Page for ful details of these fun loving days.